I am an international student in Canada. Can I work?

  • Mock Webware

  • You can only start working in Canada when your study program has started. You cannot work before you start your studies.
  • You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet the below requirements:
    • You are a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
    • You are enrolled in either of the following:
      • A post-secondary academic, vocational, or professional training program or
      • A secondary level vocational training program (Quebec only)
    • Your study program is at least 6 months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
    • You have a social insurance number
  • If you are on an authorized leave from your studies, or you are switching schools and you are not studying, you can’t work off campus. You can only return to work once you are back to studying.