Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to your Canadian immigration queries

  • Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada?
  • What is express entry?
  • How do I sponsor my partner for Canadian immigration?
  • I am a Canadian citizen living outside Canada. Can I sponsor my spouse or common law partner?
  • I am an international student in Canada. Can I work?
  • How many hours can I work off campus?
  • What happens after I send in my application for a visitor visa, study, or work permit?
  • How can I check if my application has been received?
  • How can I track my application?

No, you can qualify for Canadian Immigration under the Federal Skilled Workers program or the Federal Skilled Trades program which falls under the Express Entry System.

Express Entry is Canada’s application management system for three immigration programs: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Program, and the Canadian Experience Class.

Eligible candidates receive a score based on age, education, work experience and language skills. The Canadian government routinely holds draws inviting the highest scoring candidates to apply for permanent residence.

You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • At least 18 years old
  • A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident
  • Living in Canada:
    • If you are a Canadian Citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside of Canada
  • Able to prove you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability.

Yes, you may sponsor your spouse as long as you plan to live in Canada when your spouse becomes a Permanent Resident.

  • You can only start working in Canada when your study program has started. You cannot work before you start your studies.
  • You can work off campus without a work permit if you meet the below requirements:
    • You are a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
    • You are enrolled in either of the following:
      • A post-secondary academic, vocational, or professional training program or
      • A secondary level vocational training program (Quebec only)
    • Your study program is at least 6 months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
    • You have a social insurance number
  • If you are on an authorized leave from your studies, or you are switching schools and you are not studying, you can’t work off campus. You can only return to work once you are back to studying.
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week. You can work more than 1 job to make up these hours as long as you continue to meet the conditions of your study permit.
  • Under a temporary public policy, you may be eligible to work without a work permit for more than 20 hours per week off campus during regular academic sessions. To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
    • Study permit application or extension was received on or before October 7, 2022
    • Study permit application (or extension) was received between October 8, 2022 and December 7, 2023
    • Study permit extension was received after December 7, 2023
  • Your application will be reviewed to ensure it is complete.
  • Once you pay the biometrics fee, you will receive a letter stating how you can give your biometrics.
  • Eligibility will be assessed.
  • Instructions on taking a medical exam may be required
  • You may be asked to go to an interview
  • You will be told what decision has been made on your application.

You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt letter or email with an application number. You will not receive an acknowledgement of receipt until your application has been opened and checked for completion.

By mail: use a courier service that requires a signature when delivered, thus providing you with a delivery confirmation and ability to track your package.

For some paper applications, you can get detailed application status and your messages online. You can do this by linking your application to an online account. Submit your application online, create your IRCC secure account and link your application to your IRCC secure account. Online updates and messages about your application can be received here.

If you apply at a visa application centre (VAC), they can tell you when your application has been received at IRCC’s offices.

If you apply online, you will see a confirmation page after you submit your application. You will also receive an email as you to check your account. A confirmation message with a confirmation number will be in your account. Keep your confirmation number for your records. Please note that it may take a few hours for you to receive an email from IRCC after you have submitted your application.

Are you seeking reliable Canadian immigration advice?

Subscribe to our newsletter for valuable insights into Canadian immigration services. Get the latest updates, tips, and the support you need to succeed!

Subscribe Now!

Sosaan Immigration is a Canadian immigration consultant that serves clients across Canada and worldwide.