• Sosaan Immigration

A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. The LMIA is valid for a limited time.  If your employer would like to keep you for a longer period, they must apply for a new LMIA. 

​A positive LMIA will show there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job.  An employer, wishing to hire a foreign worker must submit an application to Employment and Social Development (ESDC) Canada who will review the application and ensure there aren’t any Canadian Citizens or permanent residents who can do your job.

Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

To apply for a work permit, a worker needs:

  • A job offer letter, 
  • A contract,
  • A copy of the LMIA, and
  • The LMIA number.