The Canadian Government Can Now Verify How Many Days Immigrants and Visitors Stay in the Country

Updated: Feb 21, 2020

The Entry/Exit program could have implications affecting Permanent Residency and Citizenship applications. Since February, 2019, Canada's Federal Immigration Ministry has been able to track the movements of travellers entering and leaving the country by land. The number of days a foreign national stays in the country has an impact when it comes to applying for Work Permits, Study Permits, Visitor Visas, obtaining Permanent Residence Status, and Canadian Citizenship.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has been able to obtain traveller information from the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) through the Entry/Exit Program.

When travellers cross the U.S. border from Canada, their basic information is sent to CBSA in the form of an “exit report.”

Basic information collected at the border includes:

· Full name;

· Date of birth;

· Nationality or citizenship;

· Sex; and

· Travel document information including type, number and issuing country.

The Entry/Exit Program is expected to be extended to air travel in June 2020.

What is the purpose of the Entry/Exit Program?

IRCC will now be able to verify residency requirements. They will also be able to tell whether foreign nationals have overstayed their allowable time of admission to Canada. This information will also enable them to investigate the possibility of fraud when it comes to all matters related to immigration and citizenship.

In addition, IRCC will be able to verify that sponsors and partners reside in Canada for inland family class programs.

IRCC will also verify whether or not a refugee claimant came to Canada using their travel documents.

Traveller Rights

Travellers have the right to request a copy of their personal travel history. If they find an error in their file, they may ask CBSA to correct it.

If a request to correct travel information has been made, IRCC officers are notified and are able to obtain the most up-to-date information from CBSA.

IRCC is required to comply with the Privacy Act. Officers are not authorized to disclose entry and exit information unless it is necessary for the administration of the Immigration Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and is covered under a memorandum of understanding or similar information-sharing agreements.

CBSA has information-sharing agreements with the Royal Canadian Mountain Police (RCMP), Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

12 views0 comments