Canada Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant In Toronto, Ontario

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is a popular immigration program in Canada that allows skilled foreign workers to become permanent residents of Canada based on their education, work experience, language skills, and other factors. In this guide, we'll explore the Skilled Occupation List and Job Requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, who is eligible to apply, whether a job offer is required, the age limit to apply, and the benefits of the FSWP for immigrants and Canadian employers.

The Skilled Occupation List and Job Requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program are determined by the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This list identifies which occupations are in demand in Canada and have a shortage of qualified Canadian workers. Applicants must have at least one year of full-time work experience in a skilled occupation listed in the NOC, and meet the minimum language proficiency requirements in either English or French.

Applying for the FSW Program: What You Need to Know?

  • Who is eligible to apply under the FSW program?
  • Do I need a job offer to apply for the FSW program?
  • Age limit to apply under the FSW program?

To be eligible for the FSWP, applicants must also score a minimum of 67 points on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS). Points are awarded based on factors such as age, education, work experience, language proficiency, and adaptability.

Unlike other immigration programs, applicants under the FSWP do not need a job offer to apply. However, having a job offer from a Canadian employer can significantly increase an applicant's chances of being selected for permanent residency.

There is no age limit to apply for the FSWP, although points are awarded based on age, with younger applicants receiving more points than older applicants.

The Federal Skilled Worker program is among the three skilled worker programs managed by Canada's Express Entry system. To be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker program, potential candidates must meet the minimum requirements for age, work experience, education, language ability (English and/or French language skills), adaptability (how well you are likely to settle in Canada). These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points for how well you do in each of these factors. You must obtain at least 67 points out of 100 points.

Minimum requirements:
Skilled Work experience: means you have worked in one of the below National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER categories:

TEER Occupation Types Examples
0 Management Occupations
  • Advertising, marketing, and public relations managers
  • Financial managers
1 Occupations that usually require a university degree
  • Financial advisors
  • Software engineers

Occupations that usually require:

  • A college diploma
  • Apprenticeship training of 2 or more years or
  • Supervisory occupations
  • Computer networks and web technicians
  • Medical laboratory technologists

Occupations that usually require:

  • A college diploma
  • Apprenticeship training of less than 2 years, or
  • More than 6 months of on-the-job training
  • Bakers
  • Dental Assistants
  • Dental Laboratory Assistants

Occupations that usually require:

  • A high school diploma, or
  • Several weeks of on-the-job training
  • Home childcare providers
  • Retail salespersons
  • Visual merchandisers
5 Occupations that usually need short-term work demonstration and no formal education
  • Landscaping and grounds maintenance labourers
  • Delivery service drivers
  • Door-to-door distributors


You must show that while working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of your NOC which includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:

  • In the same type of job (have the same National Occupational Classification – NOC Teer categories) skill as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • Within the last 10 years
  • Paid work (paid wages or earned commission)
  • At least 1 year of continuous work experience or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week).
  • Work can be:
    • full-time at 1 job or more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time work: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1-year full time (1,560 hours). You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement

Language Proficiency Requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program:

You must take an approved language test in English or French for writing, listening, reading, and speaking and get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all 4 abilities. Language test results are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. Tests must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

Educational Requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program

  • If you went to school in Canada, you must have:
    • a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution or post-secondary institution.
  • If you have a foreign education, you must have:
    • a completed credential
    • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian:
      • secondary institution (high school) or
      • post-secondary institution
  • The designated organizations are:
    • World Education Services (WES)
    • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
    • Comparative Education Service (CES), University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
    • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
    • International Credential Evaluation Service

Proof of Funds:

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada, unless

  • you are currently able to legally work in Canada and
  • you have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

The amount of money you need to support your family depends on the size of your family. To calculate the size of your family, you must include:

  • Yourself
  • Your spouse or partner
  • Your dependent children
  • Your spouse’s dependent children

Include your spouse or your children even if they are

  • Permanent residents or Canadian citizens
  • Not coming to Canada with you

As of June 9, 2022, the below table shows the minimum of amount of money needed to immigrate to Canada. If you have more money, list the full amount in your profile or application:

Number of family members Funds required (in Canadian dollars)
1 $13,310
2 $20,371
3 $20,371
4 $24,733
5 $28,052
6 $31,638
7 $35,224
For each additional family member $ 3,586


What is expected as proof:

Funds must be readily available to you. For example, you can't use equity on real property as proof of settlement funds.

You also can’t borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they aren’t coming with you).

If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account. You may be able to count money in an account under their name only, but you must prove you have access to the money.

The funds must be available both when you apply and when (if) you are issued a permanent resident visa. You must prove to an immigration officer you can legally access the money to use here when you arrive.

For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you are keeping money.

Letters must:

  • be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • include your name
  • list outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • include, for each current bank and investment account, the
    • account numbers
    • date each account was opened
    • current balance of each account
    • average balance for the past 6 months

Updates to fund requirements

Minimum amounts are updated every year. The changes are small, but there is a chance they could affect your eligibility. Updates to minimum amount of money needed will be provided once posted.

How much money should you bring to Canada?

Bring as much money as you can as this will make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. If you are bringing more than $10,000CAD into Canada when you arrive, you have to tell the border officer. If you don’t tell them, you may be fined, and your funds could be seized.

This includes:

  • cash
  • documents that show property or capital payable to you, such as:
    • stocks
    • bonds
    • debentures
    • treasury bills

Where you can live in Canada

You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. You can settle in any province or territory, however, if you are a provincial nominee, you must settle in the province of territory that nominated you.

Benefits of the Federal Skilled Worker Program for Immigrants and Canadian Employers

For immigrants, it offers a pathway to permanent residency and eventual citizenship, access to public services, and the opportunity to work and live in Canada. For Canadian employers, it provides access to a pool of skilled foreign workers who can fill gaps in the labour market and contribute to the economy.

Our Canadian Immigration Consulting firm in Toronto can assist with the FSW program and all aspects of the immigration process. With years of experience and a deep understanding of Canadian immigration laws and regulations, we can help guide you through the FSWP application process and increase your chances of success. Contact our Canada Immigration Consulting Firm today to learn more about the Federal Skilled Worker Program and how we can help you achieve your Canadian immigration goals.

Sosaan Immigration is a Canadian immigration consulting firm that specializes in helping clients navigate the complex process of immigration to Canada. Our experienced immigration consultant in Toronto can provide valuable assistance to those looking to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Partnering with Sosaan Immigration means having a team of dedicated professionals on your side, who will work tirelessly to help you achieve your Canadian dream.

Let us help you take the first step toward a new life in Canada.

Contact Sosaan Immigration

We can help you determine if you are eligible for the program and guide you through the application process, ensuring that all necessary documentation is properly completed and submitted. Additionally, we can provide advice on job requirements and help you understand the skilled occupation list, which is an important component of the FSW program.

If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for the FSW program, we can explore other immigration pathways that may be a better fit for your unique situation. Our goal is to help you achieve your Canadian immigration goals and make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.

We offer Immigration Services across Canada and Worldwide.

Looking to apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

Contact our Immigration Consultant today to discover how we can help you navigate the complex Federal Skilled Worker Program requirements and increase your chances of success!

Schedule a Consultation