Work as a co-op student or intern

  • Sosaan Immigration

Categories: Canada Common Law Partner Visa Canada Federal Skilled Trades Canada LMIA Canada Provincial Nominee Program Canada Spousal Sponsorship Canada Work Permit Canadian Citizenship Canadian Experience Class Canadian Immigration Services Dependent Child Sponsorship Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program Immigrating to Canada Immigration Consulting Firm Permanent Resident Card Renewal Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant Study in Canada Temporary Resident Visa Visitor Visa Canada

Do you have a study program that requires work experience as part of your curriculum?

If so, you can apply for a co-op work permit if:

  • you have a valid study permit
  • work is required to complete your study program in Canada
  •  you have a letter from your school that confirms all students in your program need to complete work placements to get their degrees and
  • your co-op placement or internship totals 50% or less of your study program

Has the COVID-19 outbreak impacted your studies in Canada?

The COVID-19 outbreak has prevented many international students from studying in Canada and has forced studies on-line from abroad. If your school and employer agree, you can either

  • accept a Canadian work placement and begin working remotely from your home country
  • work for a company in your home country

If you are working remotely from outside Canada, you can work while the Canadian government processes your study permit and co-op work permit applications.

Eligibility Requirements

You cannot apply for a co-op work permit if you are taking one of the following:

  • English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL)
  • General interest courses
  • Courses to prepare for another study program

If you are not eligible for a co-op work permit, but you want to work in Canada, you must apply for a work permit

Blog by Sosaan Immigration