Study Permit & Post-Graduation Work Permit

REGULATED CANADIAN Immigration Consultant


To apply for a study permit, you need an acceptance letter from a designated learning institution.  A designated learning institution is a school approved by a provincial or territorial government to host international students.  All primary and secondary schools in Canada are designated learning institutions.

Study permits are only required for courses of study that are intended to last six months or longer.  Any course or program that is less than six months, does not require a study permit. After being accepted to a specific course at a DLI, you can submit your application for a study permit.  There are a number of requirements that must be met to satisfy a visa or immigration officer.

The Post-Graduation Work Permit allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institutions to obtain an open work permit to gain valuable Canadian work experience.  

Skilled Canadian work experience in the national occupation code A (professional occupations), O (managerial occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) that is gained through the PGWP program helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class within Express Entry.

PGWP are exempt from Labour Market Impact Assessments.  With a PGWP, as with all open work permits, graduates can work  for any Canadian employer either full-time, part-time or be self-employed

A PGWP may be issued based on the length of the study program for a minimum of 8 months up to a maximum of 3 years.   The validity period of the PGWP may not go beyond the applicant’s passport validity date.  In this instance, the PGWP applicant can apply for a work permit extension once their passport has been renewed to receive the full validity of their PGWP.

Would you like to learn more?
Book time with us now.

Book A Time

We offer Immigration Services across Canada and Worldwide.