Canada Federal Skilled Worker Program

Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant in Toronto, Ontario


The Federal Skilled Worker program is among the three skilled worker programs managed by Canada's Express Entry system. To be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker program, potential candidates must meet the minimum requirements for age, work experience, education, language ability (English and/or French language skills), adaptability (how well you are likely to settle in Canada). These factors are part of a 100-point grid used to assess eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. You earn points for how well you do in each of these factors. You must obtain at least 67 points out of 100 points.

Minimum requirements:
Skilled Work experience: means you have worked in one of the below National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER categories:

TEER Occupation Types Examples
0 Management Occupations
  • Advertising, marketing, and public relations managers
  • Financial managers
1 Occupations that usually require a university degree
  • Financial advisors
  • Software engineers

Occupations that usually require:

  • A college diploma
  • Apprenticeship training of 2 or more years or
  • Supervisory occupations
  • Computer networks and web technicians
  • Medical laboratory technologists

Occupations that usually require:

  • A college diploma
  • Apprenticeship training of less than 2 years, or
  • More than 6 months of on-the-job training
  • Bakers
  • Dental Assistants
  • Dental Laboratory Assistants

Occupations that usually require:

  • A high school diploma, or
  • Several weeks of on-the-job training
  • Home childcare providers
  • Retail salespersons
  • Visual merchandisers
5 Occupations that usually need short-term work demonstration and no formal education
  • Landscaping and grounds maintenance labourers
  • Delivery service drivers
  • Door-to-door distributors


You must show that while working in your primary occupation, you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of your NOC which includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

Your skilled work experience must be:

  • In the same type of job (have the same National Occupational Classification – NOC Teer categories) skill as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)
  • Within the last 10 years
  • Paid work (paid wages or earned commission)
  • At least 1 year of continuous work experience or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week).
  • Work can be:
    • full-time at 1 job or more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
    • equal amount in part-time work: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1-year full time (1,560 hours). You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement

Language Ability:

You must take an approved language test in English or French for writing, listening, reading, and speaking and get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all 4 abilities. Language test results are valid for 2 years after the date of the test result. Tests must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.


  • If you went to school in Canada, you must have:
    • a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution or post-secondary institution.
  • If you have a foreign education, you must have:
    • a completed credential
    • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for immigration purposes from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma, or degree from a Canadian:
      • secondary institution (high school) or
      • post-secondary institution
  • The designated organizations are:
    • World Education Services (WES)
    • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
    • Comparative Education Service (CES), University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies
    • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
    • International Credential Evaluation Service

Proof of Funds:

You must show that you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada, unless

  • you are currently able to legally work in Canada and
  • you have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada

The amount of money you need to support your family depends on the size of your family. To calculate the size of your family, you must include:

  • Yourself
  • Your spouse or partner
  • Your dependent children
  • Your spouse’s dependent children

Include your spouse or your children even if they are

  • Permanent residents or Canadian citizens
  • Not coming to Canada with you

As of June 9, 2022, the below table shows the minimum of amount of money needed to immigrate to Canada. If you have more money, list the full amount in your profile or application:

Number of family members Funds required (in Canadian dollars)
1 $13,310
2 $20,371
3 $20,371
4 $24,733
5 $28,052
6 $31,638
7 $35,224
For each additional family member $ 3,586


What is expected as proof:

Funds must be readily available to you. For example, you can't use equity on real property as proof of settlement funds.

You also can’t borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they aren’t coming with you).

If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account. You may be able to count money in an account under their name only, but you must prove you have access to the money.

The funds must be available both when you apply and when (if) you are issued a permanent resident visa. You must prove to an immigration officer you can legally access the money to use here when you arrive.

For proof, you must get official letters from any banks or financial institutions where you are keeping money.

Letters must:

  • be printed on the financial institution’s letterhead
  • include their contact information (address, telephone number and email address)
  • include your name
  • list outstanding debts such as credit card debts and loans
  • include, for each current bank and investment account, the
    • account numbers
    • date each account was opened
    • current balance of each account
    • average balance for the past 6 months

Updates to fund requirements

Minimum amounts are updated every year. The changes are small, but there is a chance they could affect your eligibility. Updates to minimum amount of money needed will be provided once posted.

How much money should you bring to Canada?

Bring as much money as you can as this will make moving and finding a home in Canada easier. If you are bringing more than $10,000CAD into Canada when you arrive, you have to tell the border officer. If you don’t tell them, you may be fined, and your funds could be seized.

This includes:

  • cash
  • documents that show property or capital payable to you, such as:
    • stocks
    • bonds
    • debentures
    • treasury bills

Where you can live in Canada

You must plan to live outside the province of Quebec. The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. You can settle in any province or territory, however, if you are a provincial nominee, you must settle in the province of territory that nominated you.

We offer Immigration Services across Canada and Worldwide.

Contact Sosaan Immigration - Immigration Consulting Firm in Toronto, Ontario